Monday 24 March 2014

Fishing in the blue cave

I lead this trip the last day of RnR. I was leading Selim and Vincent. We went into many crevasses, over some rocks and some caves... One of the caves was reckoning moment for Selim.
We got to the 'blue cave' and there was a big group out of the entrance. Only their guides were entering the cave, I am not sure why. I asked my 2 guys to wait well out of the rocky coast while I went in to check how 'easy' or not was inside. When I came out Vincent decided to pass this one and Selim went in with one of the guides from the other group. When the other guide came out, Selim was still inside. I positioned myself close to the entrance to try to record him coming out and to monitor his state when a bigger set rolled in.
I screamed 'Wave' and then I just saw the wave smashing the entrance to the cave. When I finally could spy over the white water and spray, I could only see a boat... but no paddler on or around it. I put my camera away in my pocket without turning it off and went in to fish Selim. It was all saved for posterity. The Nikon in my pocket saved the audio while the gopro on the back of the kayak saved the image of what was Selim grand moment. Enjoy it, or suffer it :-)
My wife thinks I exaggerated a bit with the music. What do you think?


6 comments:

  1. Well executed rescue and nice film editing Fernando. You should have kept this one for R&R 2015. It could have ensured you another win :) No, the music is great. It transforms the video into a film. My heart was beating faster when I was watching it than when I was in the water ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selim, but your accelerated heart beat is probably because you were reliving the events not the music or the edit...

      Delete
  2. Spend $50 on an electric pump setup Selim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel, he has an electric pump in that boat but it was not working on the day. He told me when we started paddling

      Delete
    2. My Nordkapp RM was a loan boat for one of the guesses came to R&R. Somehow the battery was flat on Monday when I had it back. It was fully charged and working when I brought it down but that's OK. I learned one more thing. An efficient and quite large sponge like Fer's is a necessary item in the tool box when you are out to rocks.

      Delete